Friday, December 30, 2005

A Pointless Connection

Klaatu barada nikto. This nonsense phrase first entered the popular culture in the 1951 film "The Day the Earth Stood Still." It is a comand phrase used to keep the robot Gort from destroying the world. The film, by the way is a sci-fi classic, and it holds up extremely well.

For whatever reason, I realized this morning that I had heard the phrase in another cult favorite movie: "Army of Darkness." They are the words Ash can't quite remember to use when retrieving the Necronomicon (which itself is a creation of one of my favorite authors, H. P. Lovecraft).

Why this hit me this morning, I have no idea. I haven't seen either of those movies in a while, but the science fiction classics do have a way of being reused. Whether it's The Prisoner's "be seeing you" showing up in Babylon 5 or the myriad appearances of a nonsense phrase from the early fifties, the classics are classics for a reason.

No comments: