Thursday, March 16, 2006

Unenforced Network Neutrality

The Internet has been quite the boon. Heck, these silly snippets of writing would surely not have happened without it. But it is also more complicated than your average piece of technology. I believe that the only way to ensure true freedom on the Internet is to treat the communications infrastructure as public property, or at least enforce balanced access to it. The industries involved are generally publicly traded, and thus select for getting more money rather that a better environment for their customers. These conditions lead me to the weird place where I actually want some new laws to constrain practices on the Internet. Actually, what I want is for laws to state that the use of the Internet can't be given preferentially. I refer you to the better writers over at ArsTechnica for their latest take.

No comments: