Saturday, June 24, 2006

To Go Boldly...

Star Trek, the gateway to geekdom for many a kid. It was actually second or third for me behind the original Battlestar Galactica and the immortal Doctor Who, but I am still a fan of the original Star Trek. The modern series don't get my attention as much, mainly because I've been exposed to (slightly) deeper fair such as Babylon 5, Firefly, and the new Battlestar Galactica. (DS9 and TNG had their moments, but the rest were bland to horrible.) The idea of recreating the original Star Trek has gained traction recently. Normally I wouldn't be that interested, but what if the writers involved were Babylon 5's J. M. Straczynski and Dark Sky's B. Zybel? What would their idea of Star Trek look like? Well, now we know. (That's a PDF link, FYI.)

If there is anyone reading this who has never seen Star Trek, or doesn't get what it was about, the description given in the document is about a clear and concise as I have seen. Yes, this project didn't happen. Given what would have been an almost simultaneous release of the "reimagined" Battlestar Galactica, it's probably just as well. But I for one would have watched. And I would have been much more interested in a new Star Trek than a new Battlestar, if only because the original material set the bar so much higher for a recreation.

No comments: