Thursday, August 14, 2008

Bachelor Chow: Newschannel Chicken

A few days back, I was watching the local 24-hour news channel waiting to catch a weather report. The lead-in segment was one of those bits where a chef demonstrates a recipe. Normally, I never see anything worth remembering, but this time I did. The chef presented a "healthy and quick" version of Parmesan chicken. It was certainly easy, it sounded good, and I had thawed chicken in the 'fridge. Unfortunately, the first ingredient was bread crumbs. I'm a bachelor with the word "engineer" in my job title; containers of bread crumbs have no place in my house. Here's my take on the dish:

Ingredients:
4-6 chicken tenderloins
1 heel piece from a loaf of sandwich bread (any thin piece will do)
3-4 Kashi garlic and thyme party crackers (or something similar)
2 tablespoons(-ish) of grated Parmesan cheese
olive or vegetable oil
black pepper

Preheat your oven to 375 degrees. Toast the bread lightly in a toaster oven and leave it in with the oven turned off to dry it out. When the bread is fairly dry, crumble it into a container large enough for dredging the chicken. Crush the crackers and add them and the cheese to the bread. Grind in black pepper to taste and give it a good mix with your hand. Give the chicken a light coating of oil, and dredge them in the bread crumbs (ha!). Bake in a baking pan for 15 minutes.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A quick way to bread crumbs.

Cut into small pieces while fresh. Microwave till stale. If you want them crispy. Put in toaster oven for a cycle.