Friday, November 28, 2008

One of the Lucky Ones

As I sit here this day-after-Thanksgiving evening, I am profoundly aware of how good my life is right now. I know too many people who are looking for jobs, too many people that have recently lost loved ones, and too many people who are sick to consider myself anything but amazingly blessed. I would ask if you read this, please take a moment and give thanks for what you have. Skip for a brief moment, the annoyances, the worries, the fears, the burdens, and the trials of your life and find something to be thankful for. Perhaps the roof over your head, or the computer you have access to that allows you to see these words. Perhaps you have family or friends nearby, or even far away. Maybe all you can do is take a deep breath and take a moment to savor the feeling of your lungs expanding.

As we move into the Christmas season, we can tend to dwell on the poor shape the world is in, and there certainly is enough unhappy news out there to depress you. Chances are good that something bad has happened to you this year, or is happening to you now. Believe it or not, it will be all right. It may take a struggle, and a miracle or three, but all things can be surmounted. Focus for just a moment on the good things. A smile from a random guy/gal passing by in the crowd. A few hours of free time to watch a sporting event. The crisp smell of cold morning air.

I know that I am one of the lucky ones, my blessings too numerous to count. Even as I acknowledge that, it helps to remind myself that even the little things count, things like the leftover Thanksgiving turkey and homemade dressing that is about to become my dinner. It's something to remember as we once again begin our journey to the manger, following the ever-bright star of hope.

No comments: