Sunday, November 2, 2008

Watching the Watchers: Pre-election Issue

Though I've been writing mostly in the category of distractions recently, it would take more than a busy schedule to keep me from noticing that there is an election in two days. Perhaps you too have heard something about it on TV. Or the radio. Or the papers. Or the Internet. Or in casual conversation. Personally, I'm hoping that it's the record turnout year folks seem to think it will be. I'm not willing to predict the outcome, though I know where I'd place my bets if I had to. I am willing to predict widespread accusations of voting irregularity. Of course, it's easy to predict something that's already happening.

I've also noted that while the price of gas has gone down and the local shortages appear to be over, the oil companies are once again posting record profits on the backs of the high prices. I can't help but think that particular issue will not be going away no matter the outcome of the election. The noise around the banking industry is covering the usual cries of outrage. Of course, whether the outrage is justified may or may not be factoring into your vote.

Stay tuned folks, this is a big one, possibly a historic one. If you haven't already voted, you've still got a day to study up on the candidates for the various races. I'm waiting for Election Day to cast my vote, and something tells me I'm going to be late for work on Tuesday.

No comments: