Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Watching the Watchers: A Moment in History

I was able to see the new President's inauguration speech this afternoon, and as some random guy who posts stuff on the 'net, I can't help but comment on it. Only time will tell how Mr. Obama's term turns out, but it's hard not to recognize that something special happened for an enormous number of people today. My world is a small one; I've never lived in fear, never been consumed with hatred, and never known true oppression. What happened today doesn't have the depth of meaning for me that others will find in it. But I can recognize a symbol, and I can see the power that Obama's campaign and election has within it. Now, with the ceremony behind him, the real work will commence. My own message to the president is this: I will be praying for you, because brother, you've got a bumpy road ahead. And I will also pray that we all remember that our role in America's future doesn't end when we cast our vote. It's up to all of us to build a better tomorrow, one tiny step at a time.

Also, if you missed the inauguration, YouTube has you covered.

No comments: