Sunday, August 2, 2009

A Brief Retrospective

Well, July is past and gone. It's less than a month until football season. As we enter the hot, sticky run toward Labor Day, what have I learned so far this summer?

Recently, I read evidence the stock market is even more broken that I thought.

There are way too many people without jobs this summer. I really hope that turns around.

Apple owns the $1000+ computer market segment. Of course, that might be because the average sale prices for a Mac laptop or desktop are more than double those in the PC market. In a mostly unrelated note, heaven help me, I actually want the iPhone to come to Verizon.

Top Gear remains the height of awesome, even though I'm not a car guy. And in his off time, one of the presenters is building a house out of Lego brand building bricks.

Limeaid: rum; Lemonaid: gin; Gatorade: you're doing it wrong.

To properly appreciate The Daily Show and Wait, Wait Don't Tell Me, you need to keep up with the current news. Also vice versa.

Programming in my free time would require larger blocks of free time than I currently have.

I still prefer computer gaming to consoles. But even four years after my back surgery, I can't take sitting in a chair for 12+ hours a day. Maybe I need a better chair. On the subject of computer gaming, World of Warcraft isn't much of a single player game, but it gets better when you can group up with someone you know. It lives and dies by the Diablo loot drop style, which happens too slowly when you are on your own in the game. Great artwork job though. Also, Team Fortress 2 remains shockingly fun.


Waterfalls are pretty. Even small ones.

And while learning things is great, it's also good to keep a question or two handy going forward. Things like: will Chuck keep its fun quotient up in the third season? Should I get my old hand-me-down guitar repaired, or just get a new one that's in better shape? Are electric guitars easier on the poor typing hands than acoustics, and how does that play into the previous question's answer?

Personally, I'm ready to begin the run toward autumn. But I also don't want to forget the lessons and fun of the past couple of months. After all, it's been a pretty good summer so far.

No comments: