Saturday, December 29, 2012

Bookworming: 2012 Summary

Facing a shortage of writing time this year, and with some inspiration from those around me, I decided to start keeping track of what I was reading and provide some capsule reviews. Thus the Bookworming category was born. I have rather liked it and I suspect it will continue next year. In the meantime, here is a summary of the year's activity.

My rating scale:

* I didn't care for it.
** Meh
*** Good for those who like that sort of thing.
**** Just plain good, likely to be read again some time.
***** Destined to be a personal favorite, likely to be read over and over again.

The books of 2012:
A Princess of Mars, Edgar Rice Burroughs, ***
The Hunger Games, Suzanne Collins, ****
Catching Fire, Suzanne Collins, ****
Mockingjay, Suzanne Collins, ****
24 Hours That Changed the World, Adam Hamilton, ****
The Gospel According to Science Fiction, Gabriel McKee, **
Blood Rites, Jim Butcher, ****
Dead Beat, Jim Butcher, ****
2001 A Space Odyssey, Arthur C. Clarke, *
This Alien Shore, C. S. Friedman, ****
Proven Guilty, Jim Butcher, ****
White Night, Jim Butcher, *****
Small Favor, Jim Butcher, ****
Turn Coat, Jim Butcher, ****
When Christians Get It Wrong, Adam Hamilton, **
The Adventures of Robin Hood & His Merry Outlaws, J. Walker McSpadden, ***
Changes, Jim Butcher, ***
Ghost Story, Jim Butcher, ****

Well, let's see what we have here. Eighteen books in twelve months, leaning heavily on the Dresden Files series. That will change for next year as I have finally caught up (to the paperbacks at least). I got a couple of "roots" adventures stories in there, and only a small amount of sci-fi. Thanks to my church small-group, there were several religious books in the mix. No programming books on the list this year.

Looking at it now, it is not quite comprehensive of what I have read, but it's reasonably close. At least one game book (Tremulus[sic]: A Storytelling Game of Lovecraftian Horror by Sean Preston) didn't make the list. Of course, those are quite hard to review since they aren't really self-contained experiences. I can't wait to see what 2013 will bring.

No comments: