Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Seeing the Wisdom of a Turkey

On the highway home this afternoon, a couple hundred yards out from the overhead sign proclaiming my imminent relief from high speed traffic, there in the grass between the edge of the road and the treeline, stood a wild turkey. She was still and calm, reminding me for all the world of any other southerner on a spring afternoon, out on the front porch watching the cars roll by quickly and the storm clouds roll by slowly. I must admit that for a moment I was a little envious, not having so much serenity in my life these days. But you know, them storm clouds move how they will, and all the worrying and fretting in the world don't change when they pass by. But they always do eventually, and the colors of the world are never brighter than in that first ray of sun after a rain.

No comments: