Sunday, September 29, 2013

The Babylon Quotes Project

From Babylon 5 "A Voice in the Wilderness, Part I" written by J. Michael Straczynski
  • "What better way to go out than in the cause of advancing scientific knowledge?" [Aside]"Is this a multiple choice question, because I have some ideas."
  • "If the Narns all stood together in one place and hated, all at the same time, that hatred could fly across dozens of light years and reduce Centauri Prime to a ball of ash. That's how much they hate us." "You don't have to respond in kind." "Of course we do. It is a natural law. Physics tells us that for every action there must be an equal and opposite reaction. They hate us; we hate them; they hate us back. And so, here we are, victims of mathematics."
  • "Without the hope that things will get better, that our inheritors will know a world that is fuller and richer than our own, life is pointless, and evolution is vastly overrated."
  • "...the Bablyon 5 mantra: Ivonava is always right. I will listen to Ivonava. I will not ignore Ivonava's recommendations. Ivonava is God. And if this ever happens again Ivonava will personally rip your lungs out. ... Civilians. Just kidding about that God part. No offence."
  • "Water. Fascinating. I never touch the stuff myself."
  • "Now, I go to spread happiness to the rest of the station. It's a terrible responsibility, but I have learned to live with it."

From Bablyon 5 "A Voice in the Wilderness, Part II" written by J. Michael Straczynski
  • "Worst case of testosterone poisoning I've ever seen."
  • "Landing thrusters... landing thrusters... hmm... ah... if I were a landing thruster, which one of these would I be?"
  • "The third principle of sentient life is its capacity for self-sacrifice, for a cause, a loved one, for a friend."
  • "He's looking for a purpose, but his destiny lies elsewhere."

From Babylon 5 "Babylon Squared" written by J. Michael Straczynski
  • "Some things one must do alone."
  • "Fasten, then zip."
  • "I am Grey, I stand between the candle and the star. We are Grey, we stand between the darkness and the light."
  • "We live for the one; we would die for the one."
  • "They fight, they argue, they are ruled by passions and fears." "Yes. And that is their strength. They do not seek conformity. They do not surrender. Out of their differences comes symmetry, their unique capacity to fight against impossible odds. Hurt them and they only come back stronger. The passions we deplore have taken them to their place in the stars and will propel them to a great destiny. Their only weakness is that they do not recognize their own greatness. They forget that they have come to this place through two million years of struggle, evolution, and blood, that they are better than they think and that they are nobler than they know. They carry within them the capacity to walk among the stars like giants. They are the future, and we have much to learn from them."
  • You take, Zathras die. You leave, Zathras die. Either way, is bad for Zathras."
  • "You have a destiny."
  • "We are surrounded by signs and portents, and I feel a darkness pressing at our backs."

From Babylon 5 "The Quality of Mercy" written by J. Michael Straczynski
  • "Here my friend, here you will see the heart and soul of Babylon 5. Also its spleen, its kidneys, a veritable parade of internal organs."
  • "I did the necessary thing. That is not always the same as the right thing."

From Babylon 5 "Chrysalis" written by J. Michael Straczynski
  • "I think I will stick my head in the station's fusion reactor. It will be quicker, and I suspect after a while I might even come to enjoy it."
  • "There comes a time when you look into the mirror and you realize that what you see is all that you will ever be, and you accept it, or you kill yourself. Or you stop looking into mirrors."
  • "Goodbye, you will not see me again as I am now."
  • "It's as if some great hand reached out of space and erased them."
  • "There's someone else out there, Na'toth."
  • "Who are we to stand in the way of prophecy?"
  • "And so it begins. You have forgotten something."

No comments: