Monday, October 28, 2013

Bookworming: A Game of Thrones

A Game of Thrones, George R. R. Martin, ***
This one is hard for me to review for several reasons. First, I had it thoroughly spoiled by the TV series of the same name. Second, it is so blatantly the first of a series that nothing much gets resolved, which is usually a huge no-no for me. Finally, the characters run a dark gamut from deeply flawed to outright despicable, and I am not much for the bad-people-doing-bad-things style of story. And yet, the writing is excellent, the pacing works well, and the world is well developed and interesting. It is heavy reading, and I can see why some love it and some revile it.

As with the TV series, my lasting impression is that not much actually happened, but somehow it was fairly compelling.

No comments: