Sunday, December 29, 2013

The Babylon Quotes Project

From Babylon 5 "Shadow Dancing" written by J. Michael Straczynski
  • "The thing is: sometimes people walk away because they want to be alone, sometimes they walk away because they want to see if you care enough to follow 'em into hell."
  • "It means, 'my words are inadequate to the burden of my heart.'"
  • "Well, who want's to live forever." "I do, actually."
  • "You go in there and you fight for what matters to you! Don't just walk away because it's easier."
  • "I want to do it all again."
  • "Now that we've shown them we can hurt 'em, how long until they come knocking at our front door?"
  • "I guess I found what I... what I needed, not what I wanted." "Which was?" "A short, sharp kick to the head." "Oh, well, hell, I coulda done that for you, all you had to do was ask." "Well, you would have enjoyed it too much."
  • "I realized that I always defined myself in terms what I wasn't. I wasn't a good soldier like my father. I wasn't the job. I wasn't a good prospect for marriage or kids. Always what I wasn't, never what I was. And when you do that you miss the moments. The moments are all we've got." ... "I can't go back, but I can appreciate what I have right now. And I can define myself by what I am instead of what I'm not." "And what are you?" "Alive. Everything else is negotiable."
  • "Hello... you must be Delenn."

From Babylon 5 "Za'ha'dum" written by J. Michael Straczynski
  • "Who are you?" "Who decides that the work day is from nine to five instead of eleven to four? Who decides that the hemlines will be below the knee this year and short again next year? Who draws up the borders, controls the currency, handles all of the decisions that happen transparently around us?" "I don't know." "Ah. I'm with them. Same group, different department."
  • "You bring two sides together, they fight, a lot of them die, but those who survive are stronger, smarter, and better."
  • "Why don't you just kill me?" "Doesn't work. Someone would just come around and replace you. That's always been the trouble with creating martyrs."
  • "It was the end of the Earth year 2260, and the war had paused, suddenly and unexpectedly. All around us it was as if the universe were holding its breath, waiting. All of life can be broken down into moments of transition or moments of revelation. This had the feeling of both."
  • "J'Quan wrote, 'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting in moments of transition to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future, or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"

No comments: