Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Bookworming: Divergent

Divergent, Veronica Roth, ***
Divergent is one of apparently many nebulously-near-future, post-unspecified-apocalypse, distopian-society, young adult novels currently making the rounds (and being made into movies). I found it a good, fast read. The setting, a society rigidly divided along personality traits, stretches credibility for me a bit. (How many people do you know that could exhibit only one personality trait even if they wanted to? We are all more than a little divergent, but that may be the point.) But if you set that aside as the conceit of the setting, then the world building works, as far as it goes. As both a first novel and an introduction to the setting, Roth does a nice job of balancing a complete story with the need to set up future installments. Though I find myself suspecting the next novel in the series may be more interesting than this one, I found it a perfectly satisfactory read. I do have a soft spot for the post-apocalypse genre, but I suspect fans of coming-of-age tales or light science fiction would enjoy this one.

No comments: