Saturday, February 1, 2014

The Babylon Quotes Project

From Babylon 5 "Atonement" written by J. Michael Straczynski
  • "Where did you say you were going?" "I was, uh... I was just going to... Nowhere that can't wait for a little while."
  • "I try not to be judgmental about alien cultures when they are dressed like that."
  • "The problem with a big lie is that if you repeat it long enough people start to believe it."
  • "If the universe puts a mystery in front of us as a gift, politeness requires that we at least try to solve it."
  • "You look as if you have been terrified into another and better incarnation."
  • "When others do a foolish thing, we should tell them it is a foolish thing. They can still continue to do it, but at least the truth is where it needs to be."
  • "I suspect the journey will be a curious and fascinating one, it always is."
  • "There is nothing to fear in The Dreaming, only that which we bring with us."
  • "Marcus, this is the kind of conversation that can only end in a gun shot."
[Here I am with another interjection. Even now, after all these years, I managed to spot another thread in this episode that I hadn't noticed before. "Atonement" is perhaps the best illustration of why Babylon 5 was so unique at the time it aired, and how in many ways nothing has approached it since. The episode ties up threads that the viewer did not even know were left dangling, closing one of the foundation story lines of the series. And all of that in a relatively quiet story. I can't help but wonder where it would have fallen in the episode order had the show not been cancelled during season four and resurrected for season five, with all the plot shuffling that was a result. There is much to be discussed in this episode, and perhaps some day long in the future I will sit down and do so, but for now, we continue on.]


From Babylon 5 "" written by J. Michael Straczynski
  • "There isn't much chance of me winning this argument, is there." "None whatsoever. I never give up when I'm right. You're only option is surrender." "Who taught you to negotiate like that?" "You did." "Oh."
  • "And that's when I shot him your honor."
  • "I get forgotten so many times, well, I forget."
  • "Right, well... what war?"
  • "I'm a Ranger." "That so? Well, you a long way from Texas, son, and that ain't the right accent."
  • "See, around here we only got two types: the suspicious and the dead."
  • "If you could look any more unhappy, please do not tell me. There are some things I would rather not know."
  • "The thing of it is, the damned thing of it is, they grow back. They always grow back."

No comments: