Sunday, March 2, 2014

The Babylon Quotes Project

From Babylon 5 "Rising Star" written by J. Michael Straczynski
  • "We are developing a rather strange relationship, I think. At times, I find I rather enjoy it."
  • "I find it amazing that you think that threats still mean anything to me."
  • "It's just that I'm so rarely in the presence of living history. It, it thins the atmosphere, makes you giddy. You realize that you are quite mad for even considering this." "Perhaps."
  • "I hope you have all brought a change of underwear. You will need it after you read this."
  • "Half of Earthforce wants to give you a kiss on the cheek and the medal of honor. The other half want you taken out and shot. As a politician you learn how to compromise, which by all rights means I should give you the medal of honor then have you shot."
  • "So morally, I was right, but politically, I'm inconvenient." "Inconvenient doesn't even begin to cover it."
  • "Don't make the mistake of assuming this is a conversation."
  • "The bitch of it is, you probably did the right thing."
  • "As long as we speak his name, he will always be a part of us."
  • "Now the time I spent on Babylon 5 I learned about choices, and consequences, and responsibility. I learned that we all have choices, even when we don't recognize them, and that those choices have consequences, not just for ourselves, but for others. We must assume responsibility for those consequences."
  • "Peace is a concept. If I'm going to sell this to my generals and the public, I'm going to need something a little more tangible."
  • "Well, there'll be plenty of time for stories later." "All the time in the world."
  • "I need to decide where my heart belongs before the rest of me can follow."
  • "You do not make history, you can only hope to survive it."
  • "It was the end of one chapter, and the beginning of another. The next twenty years would see great changes, great joy, and great sorrow. The Telepath War. The Drakh War. The new Alliance would waver and crack, but in the end it would hold. Because what is built endures, and what is loved endures. And Babylon 5, Babylon 5 endures."

From Babylon 5 "The Deconstruction of Falling Stars"
  • "But there's a time and a place for everything, and this is the time and this is definitely the place for one hell of a party."
  • "Our marriage ceremonies are solemn, sober moments of reflection. Also regret, disagreement, argument, and mutual recrimination. Once you know that it can not get any worse, you can relax and enjoy the marriage. But to start with something like this, no it is a very bad sign for the future. ... Perhaps it is something I said." "Perhaps it is everything you say."
  • "You came all this way just to say that?" "You came just as far to say less."
  • "You do not wish to know anything. You wish only to speak. That which you know, you ignore, because it is inconvenient. That which you do not know, you invent. But none of that matters, except that he was a good man. A kind man, who cared about the world even when the world cared nothing for him."
  • "The purpose of this simulation is to provide reverse correct infospeak as support for current changes in Earth policy."
  • "No point in having a conversation with someone who doesn't really exist."
  • "Now, what suggestions do you have?" "Well, I suggest you put your head between your legs and you kiss your ass goodbye."
  • "Yes, I've read Job brother Alwin. It is really not helping."
  • "Faith sustains us in the hour when reason tells us that we can not continue, that the whole of our lives is without meaning." "Then why were we born able to reason if reason's useless." "Not useless, but it's also not enough. Faith and reason are the shoes on your feet. You can travel further with both than with just one."
  • "Give him another twenty years, he'll be fine."
  • "This is how the world ends, swallowed in fire but not in darkness."
  • "We did what we did because it was right, not to be remembered. History will attend to itself. It always does."
[Because of the travails of syndication, these two episodes have the feel of being essentially a coda for the show. After being cancelled at the end of its fourth season, cable network TNT resurrected it to complete the five year run. However, the fulfillment of the main plot arc leaves the fifth season functioning as something of an extended denouement. In some other re-watches, I'll admit to having skipped from here to the final episode, which originally was produced to end the fourth season. But I am being completest in this viewing, so onward we go through to the end. Also, that bit about shoes is my second favorite quote from the series, second only to 'faith manages'.]

No comments: