Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Emotional Ones and Zeros

One of the interesting things about the purely mental job of programming is the dichotomy of feeling like a genius for actually being able to work with and modify these complex things and feeling like a dolt because I forgot a tiny detail that I've gotten correct a hundred time before. It's not the late breaking requirements, or the defect in the really complex algorithm, or the incomplete or non-existent specifications, or the unknown unknowns that really make me cranky. I've been doing it long enough that I expect such things. It's the unchecked null pointer, the unguarded arrays, and the inexorable, inevitable typo.

I expect to be sore after the climb up the mountain, but stubbing my toe on a rock at the top is just annoying.

No comments: