Friday, April 11, 2014

The Babylon Quotes Project

From Babylon 5 "Objects in Motion" teleplay by J. Michael Straczynski (story by Straczynski and Harlan Ellison)
  • "Do you mind if I talk to you?" "You'll forgive the accommodations?" "It's a cell. I've gotten used to them."
  • "We are all the sum of our tears. Too little and the ground is not fertile and nothing can grow there. Too much and the best us is washed away."
  • "They couldn't kill us with bullets, so they're drowning us in red tape. Frankly, I preferred the bullets. At least there I could shoot back."
  • "Coming?" "Now?" "Now is all we have."

From Babylon 5 "Objects at Rest" written by J. Michael Straczynski
  • "Stand by to bring her about, let's take one last look at the place."
  • [Sheridan's message to his child.]

From Babylon 5 "Sleeping in Light" written by J. Michael Straczynski
  • "Just a little further to go. Time enough."
  • "Who are you? What do you want? Why are you here? Where are you going?"
  • "There's so much I still don't understand." "As it should be."
  • "Well, look at that, the sun's coming up."
  • [And naturally, the final monologue.]
And so we come at last to the end of the journey. As with such things, there are other stories to be told. The movie "In the Beginning" comes to mind as a must watch. Perhaps some day the Quotes Project will get one more entry for it. But don't hold you're breath.

Around sixteen years have passed since the end of the Babylon 5 series in 1998, and obviously the show still has a strong hold on me. I'm older and can see the flaws more clearly, both in the show and in myself. But flaws are just another facet to one's character. Honestly, I could ramble on for quite a while about the show's merits, philosophies, questions, and legacy, but this has gone on too long already. In the end, the words of the show, largely those of Mr. Straczynski, can speak for themselves. Obviously, I would recommend giving it a try. If you like a good epic, TV doesn't have any better that I'm aware of. It may not be to your tastes, then again you might just like it.

No comments: