Sunday, July 13, 2014

A Brief Comment on Dungeons & Dragons 5

I currently do not have any plans to pick up the new edition of Dungeons & Dragons that is being released starting next month. There are two reasons for this:

  1. I am not currently a part of a regular gaming group.
  2. Core set of books cost $150.
I did look over the preview Wizards of the Coast put out, and it looks to have serious potential. Hard to really judge without a monster stat block or three, but it appears to have dispensed with some of the complexity and scaling issues that plagued the recent versions. If either of those two conditions were not the case, I might be interested to see if the set would be worthy of succeeding my old D&D Rules Cyclopedia (available again in PDF) as my  preferred edition of D&D.

Over the past decade or so, the internet has supported a great deal of competition with versions of games reformulating the older, simpler versions of D&D itself as well as Pathfinder taking over the popular v3 D&D niche on the high end. Not to mention Savage Worlds, a very low cost of entry generic system,  or Fate and Apocalypse World type games with their more storytelling style. All of these are available in PDF for very low costs, and even if you prefer the real books, there is a great deal of play to be had for far less than $150. I suspect I am not alone, and Wizards is taking a pretty big risk re-launching their flagship at such a premium price.

No comments: