Thursday, August 7, 2014

Pondering the Meaning of the 'Blog, 2014

There has been something of a change of tone and content around these parts over the last couple of years. As with all such things, it relates to where things are going in my life right now. In the wake of a couple years of commuting, a subsequent move, and the associated job changes, it seems my priorities have shifted. I'm still reading the news, but I seem to be finding less and less of it interesting. Over the years, it has been link gathering that has driven posts more often than not. But these days, I'm finding much more pleasure in the frivolities of good books, TV, and games, no doubt because I am busier at work doing more difficult things than I have ever been before. That has been reflected in the posts here. I suspect that trend will continue.

In asking myself what direction I want these writings to go, I have had various answers over the years. Rarely did those answers actually come to fruition. (Frankly, bookworming may be the only one that actually took.) I have told myself that I should write about programming more, or that I should write about it less (is it actually possible for me to write about it less?). I have said the same thing to myself about personal content and link-posts and pretty much everything else I have ever played with in this space. I have wondered if I shouldn't just close it all down in favor of an offline journal.

That isn't going to happen, at least not yet. And as this blog heads toward it's tenth anniversary, and I approach my fortieth, I find that no matter how I have tried to direct things here, I always end up where I started nine years ago. The more things change, as they say, the more they stay the same. And thus it appears this space will continue to be my digital stream of consciousness.

No comments: