Sunday, December 28, 2014

Bookworming: 2014 Summary

It's cliche to say that I can't believe the year is coming to an end already, but that's the way I feel. Let's look back at this year's reads:

My rating scale:
* I didn't care for it.
** Meh
*** Good for those who like that sort of thing.
**** Just plain good, likely to be read again some time.
***** Destined to be a personal favorite, likely to be read over and over again.

*****
Skin Game, Jim Butcher
The Peripheral, William Gibson

****
Zealot: The Life and Times of Jesus of Nazareth, Reza Aslan
Locke and Key, Vol. 1: Welcome to Lovecraft, Joe Hill
Locke and Key, Vol. 2: Head Games, Joe Hill

***
Divergent, Veronica Roth
The Demolished Man, Alfred Bester
The Big Sleep, Raymond Chandler
The Color of Magic, Terry Prachett
Red Storm Rising, Tom Clancy
Revenant, Kat Richardson
Footprints in the Sand, Mary Jane Clark

**
The Te of Piglet, Benjamin Hoff
Shadowmarch, Tad Williams
Welcome to Mars, Ken Hollings
House of Leaves, Mark Z. Danielewski

*
The Lost Years, Mary Higgins Clark

Seventeen books this year, a half-dozen higher than last year, and above one a month. Attribute that to my shorter commute.

Looking back over the scores, it was a fairly poor year of choices on my part. Highlights included the reliably fun Butcher and atmospheric wordsmith Gibson. Zealot was good in a year that really showed that I'm not involved in a Bible study group anymore, though whether my pastors would be pleased that I enjoyed it I am not so sure.

And finally, I'll note that I also post these reviews on Goodreads, if you prefer that platform.

No comments: