Friday, March 20, 2015

It Doesn't Get More Roots Rock Than This

There are many things I wish I knew more about, and once and a while in the vast randomness of the Internet, I actually learn something. Today's something, or someone in this case, is Sister Rosetta Tharpe. Among several other forms of music, I'm a fan of rock and roll, the music that grew out of country, folk, blues, and gospel to become the genre we know now as rock. Mostly I think of artists in the 50s and 60s as the roots of rock and roll, folks like Chuck Berry, Bo Diddley, Little Richard, and Elvis Presley, because I have not pursued the interest much and I spent most of my life getting music from the radio. But of course my ignorance knows no bounds, and it goes back farther than that. In Tharpe's music you can hear those true roots way back in the '40s. And I had never heard of her before. And you know, I'm grateful to have run across her, cause she's right good.



No comments: