Saturday, May 6, 2017

Bookworming: Childhood's End

Childhood's End, Arthur C. Clarke, **
A classic of the science fiction genre, and the book that confirmed I'm not really a fan of Clarke's fiction. The story is set at the end of the U.S/U.S.S.R. space race, an end that is imposed by the sudden appearance of overwhelmingly powerful aliens. Beyond that, I can't say much more because it revolves entirely around two twists. This was my second reading of it, so naturally I knew the twists going in. This really hurt the engagement with the novel. To be fair, I didn't find it terribly interesting the first time around either. Because of the heavy reliance on the twists, and the minimally sketched characters there isn't anything else to hang your interest on save the philosophical musings on utopia that motivate the sub-plots. I would generally say it is worth a read for sci-fi fans, but it won't turn you into a sci-fi fan if you aren't there already.

No comments: