Sunday, July 16, 2017

Bookworming: Eon

Eon, Greg Bear, **
Starts off as a Big Dumb Object hard sci-fi with cold war sensibilities and becomes a science fantasy leaning a little too much on politics of a society which is barely introduced. For my tastes, the hard sci-fi mystery and cold war political tension started it off well, but the subsequent plot turns and shift of focus leaves it a bit flat. I haven't read this since I was a teenager, and either it hasn't aged well or my tastes have shifted. A lot of sci-fi tropes are on display, from the BDO to the cold war stereotypes, to awkward sex scenes. The world building in the artifact itself is excellent, but beyond things get considerably less focused. Back in the day, I liked it enough to buy the sequel, today it rates a 'meh'.

No comments: